Michael Foods (M.G. WALDBAUM COMPANY) Plant Controller in NORWALK, Iowa
Business Unit Overview
Michael Foods, Inc. is a leader in the food processing and distribution industry with business in egg products, refrigerated grocery and potato products. We offer exciting job possibilities throughout our organization where you can enhance your career, sharpen your talents and make an impact. Join our company and be part of an innovative team that\'s First in Food.
Location Description Michael Foods, Inc. located in Norwalk, Iowa is a southern suburb in the Des Moines, Iowa metropolitan area. We are known for knowing our neighbors and enjoying a great quality of life! Our location produces high quality precooked egg patties as well as various French Toast products. Responsibilities
*POSITION SUMMARY: *
The plant controller position functions as a business leader and partner with plant and financial management to effectively manage and provide controls for the local plant(s). Support plant management in driving a culture of safety by leading one of the elements in the plant safety program. Leads the financial staff at the plant and is accountable for plant-level responsibilities including general accounting, maintaining a control environment (SOX), annual plan and forecast, payables, cost accounting, business analysis and capital request/projects. This position will also be the liaison with the corporate finance staff.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for ensuring all plant staff understands company policies and procedures around maintaining a control environment (SOX compliance).
- This leader will be an active participant on the plant management team
- Responsible for the plant finance and accounting team.
- Responsible for timely and accurate reporting of plant results. Develop annual plan and quarterly forecasts. Ensure timely and accurate input of bill of material changes.
- Support the plant continuous improvement teams with financial support as well understand how the plant process flow functions.
- Ensure accuracy and accountability of inventories (raw, ingredient, packaging and FG) and fixed assets. Ensure all financial adjustments are recorded and reported timely.
- Participate in daily plant meetings with the Plant Manager to discuss production and costing issues. Review labor reporting and cost, material costs, manufacturing overhead, distribution cost and inventory levels.
- Assure adherence to Generally Accepted Accounting Policies. Resolve questions of GAAP and internal controls with corporate financial management and internal audit.
- Assist with internal and external audits as required.
- Adhere to and support human and food safety policies and procedures and lead SRMP element team.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor\'s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- 5+ years as cost manager or accounting manager in a manufacturing environment, managing a staff, with an emphasis on cost accounting, reporting and variance analysis.
- Exposure to SAP a plus.
- This position manages all employees of the department and is responsible for the performance management and hiring of the employees within this department.
- Regular travel between Norwalk, IA and Lenox, IA to maintain presence at both locations is required
- Additional travel less than 10%
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the work and may not include all the duties associated with this position.
Michael Foods, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, medical condition, marita status, or a physical or mental disability.